Thursday 31 October 2013

Heritage Days- Through the Arched Windows


Recently my camera has broken and I feel a little lost. The new one is a more advanced model because in this world of technological progress a straight replacement is not possible. So I am assured it will take fantastic photographs with a greater zoom potential however, I have not had the time to play with it mainly because I feel daunted by it. So whilst I play I thought I would post a few photographs from another Heritage Open Day visit. 



Welcome to the amazing Speldhurst Church in a tiny village that once was a Parish District that encompassed Tunbridge Wells. On an ancient site that stretches back to before the Norman Conquest this gem of a church contains the most stunning stained glass windows by William Morris and Edward Burne Jones. Not just one window but ten and therefore are a must see for any Pre-Raphaelite enthusiast.




















The church is an example of Gothic Revival and as well as the stained glass windows has interesting historical memorials and monuments. The font with its elaborate oak canopy along with the nave contain examples of detailed carved woodwork.









As we ran through the rain towards the lych gate along the lych way the burial grounds looked equally as historic. However, the weather was not conducive to exploration. I was left intending to return on a day when I could observe the windows with sunlight illuminating the glass, for this is surely how they were intended to be viewed.


No comments:

Post a Comment