Wednesday 1 January 2014

Empty Jar and a Full Year






At the beginning of last year, someone posted an empty jam jar on Facebook and suggested that it could be filled with some of the good things that happen in the following year. I liked this idea and soon my jar overflowed into two with little pieces of paper lying at the side.
Today, the first of January, as I update my new diary, I also empty the jars and have a browse.

         



                                   

                               
I find boarding passes to places that last January I never imagined I would visit. Kiev, Ukraine.
Writing Courses at Historic Royal Palaces and The Frontline Club that lead to new friends, short stories, other courses and hats.
Exhibitions made possible by dropping children at University and then reliving my childhood by rereading a few of my favourite books.
Duck tours in Liverpool, that didn't sink.
Local exhibitions that lead to cookery tastings and an interest in Inspiring Women in my home town.
Writing spaces with The Creative Life Project that gave me the space beside the sea to finish a story begun by the sea with Chichester Copywriter. This in turn meant I met a submission date and was rewarded with a placed entry and afternoon tea to celebrate. Writing and food always go together.
Films, books, lectures and exhibitions, not sure which came first but all improved my love of the paintings of Dame Laura Knight who previously had sat as a solitary postcard on my desk.
Persephone Books which with the monthly book clubs has lead to so much more.
Having my colours done which has led to so much less.
Shocking films such as 'India's Forgotten Children' which made me re-evaluate my life.
Food with liquid nitrogen, friends, god daughters, birthdays, anniversaries.
Post-it notes with kind actions recorded and today I recall the actions of my lovely friends that made a difference.
Photographs from my camera that are now leading new lives as stories and cards.
Breakthrough Breast Cancer letters to mark the unveiling of my chosen names on the £1,000 Challengers' Wall, projects finished, but new friendships started and other opportunities in quieter ways than fund raising.


                    


The above are just snapshots into a full year. Many of these were impulse events, some were planned and only a few were even imagined at the beginning of 2013. I had thought that I would finish this project on the 31st December 2013. However, reliving the year and writing about some of the contents has reminded me of times I had forgotten. So I think I will start this project again, but in a different way. I am left with memories but also hope and inspirations, because there are many things which started in 2013 and they are not concluded yet.


So here's to new beginnings and endings. May the tears that will come only be tears of joy, happiness and laughter.
Be open to emptiness and you will be surprised by what fills the space.
Above all rejoice in the now and time will fill the rest.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely recap of events Caroline - a memory jar - wonderful idea, love it and loved reading about your exploits in 2013. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, it was a good exercise. Sometimes we think nothing much happens in our lives when really it does. Happy New Year.

      Delete