Sunday 11 May 2014

Surprise:Through The Letter Box


How lovely to receive surprises through the letter box. I have written before on the delights of receiving a hand written letter. But a gift that inspires me to write is just as delightful to receive. So this little pamphlet that opens into a writers map of creative pathways is a joy. Never again, can I say 'Writers block'. Never again, not know what to write in my diary. A little piece of loveliness that can be slipped into a handbag and can inspire a train journey or a spare half an hour. Thank you Writing Maps



I chose the bag section to start me on my journey.
Being a little bit of a bag lady it felt appropriate. So here is the bag in question, my Thursday bag of this week. Originally a cast-off from my daughter, black, my favourite base colour, accessorised with Andy Warhol shoe illustrations.



I also have loads of shoes, but always wear the same ones. Not able to bring myself to discard the impossibly high shoes that I can barely stand in, yet alone walk in. I once did keep a pair of Lulu Guinness's as bookends.


I love a signature piece.



               So what was in my bag? My new glass lunch box with clip on lid. Purchased from  Persephone Books my Tupperware days are over. I love the transparency, the size and the idea of a portable dish rather than a plastic opaque box. Somehow eating from glass seems more of an occasion than just grabbing a plastic snack from the fridge.


An invitation to an exhibition and some cards. I discover local talent from Tunbridge Wells at The Society of Botanical Artists Here:.The Society of Botanical Artists Jennifer Jenkins and Billy Showell come home with me in the form of greetings cards. Note the shoes have crept in again. One of which will be sent to Sarah Salway to congratulate her on her new book here: Sarah Salway which I cannot wait to read.



A book, I NEVER travel without a book. This time, the monthly book club for Persephone- There Were No Windows by Norah Hoult. Frightening brilliant. Brilliant because the novel is a wonderful account of old age, with waspish humour, cruel observations and a believable slow decline into madness. Frightening , because it is all so real. Notice the sticky notes peeking out from the top of the book. This is because I still cannot write in novels, or underline, or highlight- sigh. I treat books with reverence.



Oh, and look, a ticket to London and all zones. That means bus rides for me with the occasional tube journey. And paper, I always need paper and a gel pen in my bag.In this case a Pilot Hi-tecpoint.  I leave the ink pen at home. But paper must always be in the bag, to jot ideas down and that chance remark that you cannot make up. Last week I overheard- 'She has a good digital footprint'- wonder where I am going to put that in a story, not in a Victorian novel that is for certain.


Plus a packet of tissues, essential for any woman. 'You never leave home without a hankie', my mother would say. In the case of London, you need these especially when using facilities- not sure that I should write that!



Then an umbrella, my rainy day friend. Surprisingly not black, but floral. All in honour of the botanical exhibition and it is useful in the drizzle to hold back the frizzy hair syndrome.


All of these observations from a little parcel through the letterbox.
Some of these will make their way into character detail, some into my diary.
If I was to unpack the bag on Monday, there would be a very different story . Actually, I hope that I do not have to write about that as I want it to be over and done with. My mind is far too creative with what it already knows and I don't want to share that. But suffice to say, being creative with a writing map is a great distraction.

Writing Maps

Persephone Books

Botanical Artists

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a creative map - looking forward to hearing more about it. Lovely post Caroline. Always an inspiration. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what fun! Try to pack the Monday bag with sweet sweeties, sensuous smellies, harmonious sounds, pretty colours, soft and fuzzy fabrics so you can imagine creatively. Lots of Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Travelbug, such lovely thoughts. I will try to remember them tomorrow when I am trembling.

      Delete
  3. I've seen these writing maps advertised before. They look really good fun and I keep meaning to treat myself to one. Perhaps I should ask for one for my birthday coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Heather. I have a spare one, so if you would like to either email me your address or private message me through facebook I can send you one.

      Delete